web 2.0

Feb 23, 2009

Miyajima

As you already know if you are a regular reader here, I lost the thousand pictures or so that I took during my 2008 trip to Japan (January-February). I have a good few posts on hold, though, as I took almost 500 photos this year (in January and February again), and have back-ups for the 1200+ pictures I took in March and April 2007.

During that trip, one of the places I enjoyed most is Miyajima (宮島). This island near Hiroshima is famous for the Itsukushima Shrine (厳島神社) and its floating torii, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This shrine is so famous in Japan that back in the 17th century, it was already listed as one of the country's three best scenic views.
A single day there, and you will understand why!


 



When I was there a couple of years ago, I also visited the aquarium located on the island. Small, but quite nice. I read that it is currently closed for refurbishments (until August 2011).




Another highlight of any visit to the island is the climb to Mount Misen, and the great view on the Seto inland sea from the top.


No comments: